Back on Track in 2022
IAHPERD anticipates a positive in-person legislation session in 2022. We can build upon the progress made in 2020-21. We will also continue to build positive relationships within both legislative bodies as well as ‘push for items’ that were listed in Resolutions HR81 and SR52, such as:
- Physical Education is an essential and integral part of educating the whole child and that ALL students, in the State of Illinois, should have access to equitable, high quality, standards-based Physical Education programming being supported by equitable resources and funding. Also, be it resolved that all programs shall be in compliance with and accountable for following the Illinois School Code.
- Black and Latinx students are less likely to be physically active and have access to certified Physical Education teachers. These factors lead to lower fitness, which is correlated with poor academic performance, among other adverse outcomes.
- Physical Education, through the public education system, can mitigate health disparities, Physical Education classes may be the only organized way for many lower-income kids to get much-needed exercise.
- Physical Education should be viewed as a public health tool that can be used to educate students and empower them to maintain and improve their life-long physical, social and emotional well-being.
- Physical Education is valued as a foundational component for the health and well-being of students by health experts and policy leaders and has been shown to have a positive association with academic performance as well as mental and social-emotional health.
- Quality physical education programs enhance the social-emotional learning skills of: self management, social awareness, self-awareness, decision-making, exhibiting responsible behaviors and relationship skills.
- Physical Education provides opportunities for students to authentically use and evaluate personal Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) competencies in a safe and inclusive setting.
- All physical education programs should follow the same standards; research suggests there are access gaps from school to school.
- Physical Education is required to be taught, there is little oversight of compliance to the School Code and the waiver process are not being strictly followed.
As educators, we will need to do what we do best….teach. We will also plan on discussing issues that address quality physical education programs.
WHY should I participate?
As HPE professionals we are all well aware that decisions made by legislators affect our students, our programs, our funding and our school communities so,
- We need to show our passion and our grasp of the issues affecting our schools
- We need passionate volunteers to deliver thoughtful, professional, fact-driven, and information about local control issues, physical education, student SEL, neuroscience and the impact that the COVID-19 has had on students and programs
- We need to continue to be ‘a presence’ in Springfield and be a voice for our students and fellow professionals
- We need to continue to educate the legislators about the importance of what we do and why the students of Illinois need quality, daily physical education.
Once again, WE NEED IAHPERD members to ‘take a day’ to do what we do best……..show the passion that we have for our profession.
WHO can attend?
Any Premier IAHPERD member, in ‘good standing’, who is willing to advocate for our students and programs is welcome to join us for our Shape Up Illinois event.
WHAT will I be asked to do?
You may need to drive to Springfield the night before but this may not be necessary for some participants because of their proximity to Springfield or their desire to drive to Springfield the morning of the event. Before coming to Springfield, everyone will be given the ‘tools’ necessary to have a successful day at the Capitol (talking points, information and statistics). You will also be asked to contact your legislators to set up an individual appointment with them. Once at the Capitol, participants will begin to meet with legislators and/or their aides (you can go in pairs or by yourself) to educate, advocate and lobby. Once we have completed our tasks, we will do a short de-briefing of our day and then we should have everyone on their way home by @1:30pm.
WHAT will it cost me?
NOTHING. IAHPERD will reimburse you for mileage or train fare (at the Amtrak Value Price) and, if you are staying overnight, your hotel bill.
***Due to hotel space limitations, the number of registrants is limited and will taken on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis****
Registration for SHAPE UP 2022 is currently closed. Read your monthly On the Move newsletters for more information.
If you have any questions, contact Deb Vogel at or firstname.lastname@example.org